Transform your favorite coffee shop order into a tasty baked treat with these Vanilla Latte Cookies!
I’ve always had a soft spot for vanilla lattes. Especially when I was in college, it was always such a small comfort to order a warm, sweet coffee in between class and homework. This recipe takes my love of lattes and puts them in cookie form!
Start off with a simple shortbread, with the additions of instant espresso powder (available in the baking aisle!) and vanilla bean or vanilla bean paste.
Have fun cutting these into your favorite shapes (that’s the beauty of shortbread!), and once they’re baked and cooled, half dip the cookies in dark chocolate (or chocolate of your choice).
Not only are these cookies pretty to look at, but they taste wonderful too! The espresso powder and vanilla bean come together quite nicely to make a cookie that’s sure to impress.
Vanilla Latte Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or seeds from 1 vanilla bean (optional)
- 2 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpat.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and espresso powder. Set aside.
- Cream together sugar and butter until smooth and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and vanilla bean or paste, if using, and mix until combined.
- Add in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, until flour is combined.
- On a floured surface, shape dough into a large disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Once dough has been chilled, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter of your choice to cut out the cookies, rerolling the dough scraps as necessary.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes, or until they have browned slightly at the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a cooling rack.
- While cookies are cooling, add 2 tablespoons butter and chocolate in a small bowl. Microwave the butter and chocolate, 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each iteration, until the chocolate and butter are both melted and smooth.
- Once cookies have cooled, dip the cookies halfway in the melted chocolate, and set on wax paper to cool completely.